Monday, May 24, 2010

Mama Mondays

I love to bake. And the Kid and I have been baking together for a long time -- even though she's 7. So when we heard she had celiac, my first worry was how would we bake again?

Luckily, we're not the first to think about this! There are so many wonderful recipes, blogs, and cookbooks out there aimed at the gluten-free baker. While I am starting to learn how to use xantham gum, tapioca starch, quinoa flour and other strange items I had never heard of before, I am not too proud to dive into a pre-made mix to ensure the Kid's craving for a muffin or brownie can be fed.

So for my first post on Gluten Free Rocks, I thought I would name a couple of my favorite cookbooks, blogs and mixes that we've tried in our short four months...I am working on some recipes of my own, but let's just say I don't think they're quite ready to be shared. (we've had some fun disasters!)

But these are great and I recommend heartily:

King Arthur Gluten-Free Mixes (we LOVE the brownies...amazing!)

Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix (the best gluten-free pancake mix we've found so far)

Tartelette (Gorgeous to read, her story inspiring, her recipes are amazing!)

Cannelle et Vanille (also gorgeous, and some dairy-free recipes too...!)

Gluten-Free Baking Classics (Banana Nut Muffins are EXCELLENT...we upped the cinnamon...)

the Gluten-Free Almond Flour cookbook (recommended by our friends at Chew On This...almond flour is the best thing I've found and we love the recipe in here for chicken fingers)

A short list, I know. But all have been helpful for this mama to help her celiac kid feel that being gluten-free rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment