Thursday, May 27, 2010

How I found out I had celiac

My grandpa had cancer. I was six years old. I was writing all sorts of letters to him and suddenly my stomach started hurting. We thought I was going to puke so we rushed to the bathroom. I stayed leaning over the toilet for a long time. Then finally my parents thought I should get some sleep. So I went to bed. But the stomach aches kept happening day after day and finally we went to a doctor. He made me keep taking this pill called Prevacid. And Tums. That helped for a little bit. But not for long.

I felt nauseous. I felt all sorts of things. Angry. Upset. And I could not ignore how much it hurt. So I didn't have a very fun time playing in my room.

Then we went to see my regular doctor. He wanted to stick a needle in me, and the needle would take out the blood. And then some people would look at it and see what I had. And then they did it. And then they did it again after a little while.

We visited a new doctor and she said to take a little more blood. That made me feel annoyed, upset and a little scared. It hurt. It didn't take long though. After it happened they gave me a band aid with a smiley face on it. It took a little while for it to stop being sore. But eventually it did.

Then I had an operation. It was not fun. I went to a playroom, (the only fun thing about the whole operation thing). Then I got taken to a room, and got on to a bed with wheels under it. I got changed into a nightgown (which was WAY too big on me) and mommy rode with me when they took the bed with me and my mama on it to the room where I would have my operation.

I stopped at the bathroom. Then they made me breathe into this yucky air that would make me fall asleep. And when you counted to three, poof I was asleep. They stuck a tube in my mouth and my two wiggly front teeth came out, even though they weren't really ready. The tube went into my tummy but still I was asleep, so what I felt was nothing.

And when I woke up I had a big hole in my mouth when I smiled because my bottom teeth had come out too. I looked at my chest and there were these square things on it with pictures of animals on it. I couldn't talk very well. I never really talked without any front or bottom teeth. I was talking horribly. There was also a needle in the back of my hand and it hurt. I kept asking when it will we take it out? When will we take it out? The answer was, ALWAYS, soon. The good part is, I had some animal crackers and watched a movie.

They scraped off a tiny little thin piece of my tummy when I was asleep with a knife and sent it to a laboratory where it would get tested. I didn't feel it because I was asleep. Or else the whole thing would terribly hurt.

And that's how they figured out I had celiac. We basically emptied out the whole house. Now I can't have some of my favorite foods but that doesn't mean I can't have any yummy foods. And some people make gluten free pasta, one of my favorite foods. That made me feel a little happier. But still, no Cheddar Bunnies, and other crackers.

The most important thing is that I'm not hurting my body and I still get to eat yummy things!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, GlutenFreeKid -- I had an operation like that when I was five. In my case it was on my chest. It was confusing, and sometimes I got sick to my stomach, but it was also kind of interesting to be there. Also, some people gave me cards and gifts, which was nice. It was sad to read your description of your grandfather having cancer and you feeling sick, but I'm glad they were able to figure out how you could eat differently and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. Looks like we have something common!

    ReplyDelete