Monday, February 20, 2012

Arriety + Nasty Muffins

Today I went to see "The Secret World of Arriety" and I think it was really good because it was seeing the world from another point of view. It's about a girl who is really really small and her parents who live under a family's house in a pile of bricks that might look hollow but secretly isn't. The little people under there take only the things that we wouldn't really miss. Like a tissue or a sugar cube or a leaf. But they would only take the things they need. However when someone sees a Borrower, one of them, they have to leave. Because they cannot be seen. They think it is a dangerous. So when a boy who is staying his aunt's house spots Arriety, even though they make friends, they are forced to leave.

I've always wanted to be tiny. But now I don't want to because it seems scary. It reminded me of "Totoro and "Ponyo" because both those movies all look like they were drawn the same way. All of the animals in those movies are both cute and somewhat scary at the same time. It sort of makes me think if something not up close really looks like that in real life. Because animals are usually really cute and you don't think of them as scary because you're bigger than them. But if they're bigger than you would it be that scary?

After the movie, my mom went to the green market and got a gluten-free and vegan muffin, and we tried it after we got home. I literally spit it out into the garbage which I don't usually do because I usually eat any muffin I get chance to because, well, it's a muffin, and I like muffins. But this one was absolutely terrible. It reminded me of iron pills I take every other night. It also reminded me of sand. I think it's sort of funny because every treat I tried so far that's gluten free and vegan I haven't really liked. I don't think people who make muffins like that should sell them. If they think it tastes good they should get someone else's opinion before selling it. I wonder how many people feel like their $7 have been wasted. I bet we're not the only ones. That is why I think you should not get any muffins that are gluten-free and vegan from the greenmarket.

5 comments:

  1. UGH! Expensive, nasty muffins are just chock-full of wrongability! As for the movie, I think it is based on the book The Borrowers, which my kids liked a lot. Have you read it? You should try it, if not, and I'll take my munchkins to see the movie....then you can compare notes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your review of the movie and especially your comment about the styleof the movie. I too like the Japanese animation style. You should tell us all about other movies you see.
    About the muffin. I would guess that the vegan aspect of the muffin was the problem, not the lack of gluten. It was probably way too healthy. What are your favorite muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that the Borrowers was made into a movie. I wonder if the movie is as good as the books. I have the Borrowers Afloat and the Borrowers Aloft and the Borrowers, and I know there is a Borrowers Afield. I remember it was a little scary sneaking around the house to get what they needed, and the ferret was really scary. I have never like ferrets after reading the book. It would be fun to see the movie with you. Have you seen any other good movies lately?

    I think I have never had a vegan/gluten free muffin. I will avoid them as I know gluten free ones are good. If you take out the milk and eggs, what would there be in them that is good, except maybe sugar. Sand does not sound tasty. We found a gluten free restaurant near us. No muffins, but they do have dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see that movie since it is based on some of my favorite books. I know I never understood anyone who wanted ferrets as pets after reading them. Your Dad and Aunt liked the stories too. I can see how it was a little scary.
    We have found another restaurant with a gluten free menu. It has dessert. We will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya Harper, I've read the book. As for the muffins...
    ...Give them a cool nickname. Ex: Jack in the Box = Yak in the Box!

    -Your cousin, Sophia H.

    ReplyDelete